UAE dirham (Dhs)
Budget: Less than Dhs600
- Budget hotel room: Dhs250–450
- Cheap local eats (shawarma, vegetable curries, mezze): Dhs15–30
- Mangrove kayaking tour: Dhs160
- Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque tour: free
- Double room: Dhs500–750
- Two-course dinner: Dhs150–450
- One-hour dhow cruise: Dhs95
- Ferrari World entry: Dhs295
Top end: More than Dhs1400
- Five-star room: from Dhs1000
- Fine-dining dinner: from Dhs500
- Spa massage: from Dhs450
- Yas Marina Circuit driving experience: from Dhs390
Bargaining isn't as much a part of the culture in the UAE. Malls and shops are all fixed price. It's only in the souqs where you can try out your bargaining skills.
- Bargaining should be a relaxed, genial affair. Being friendly and chatting with the vendor will get you a better deal. But don't be too enthusiastic about the item you're thinking about purchasing.
- It pays to shop around so you can check out the prices offered for the same item in different shops.
- Don't begin negotiations unless you definitely want to buy the item.
- Don't start off your bargaining by quoting too low. What you're working towards is about 20% to 30% off the initial asking price.
- If you can't reach a price both you and the vendor agree on, it's absolutely fine to walk away.
ATMs widely available. Credit cards accepted in most hotels, restaurants and shops.
Many credit and debit cards can be used for withdrawing money from ATMs. There is usually a charge (around 1.5% to 2%) on ATM cash withdrawals abroad, and some local bank ATMs also charge a fee for withdrawals by cards not issued by their bank.
Visa, MasterCard and American Express credit and debit cards are widely accepted at shops, hotels and restaurants in Abu Dhabi.
- Hotels Tipping hotel staff is at your discretion. A tip of Dhs5 to Dhs10 for porters is common practice.
- Restaurants Tip 10% at restaurants unless service is already included on the bill.
- Spas Tip the therapist 5% to 10% of the treatment fee for more expensive treatments. Add an extra Dh5 to Dh10 onto the fee for smaller treatments such as manicures.
- Taxis Round taxi fares to nearest Dhs5.