Anne Frank Huis

Top choice museum in Western Canal Ring

The Anne Frank Huis draws around 1¼ million visitors each year. With Anne’s melancholy bedroom and her actual diary – sitting alone in its glass case, filled with sunnily optimistic writing tempered by quiet despair – it’s a powerful experience. It's compulsory to choose a timeslot and prepurchase tickets online: 80% are released two months in advance, with the remaining 20% released on the day. An audioguide is included in the ticket price.

The focus of the museum is the achterhuis (rear house), also known as the Secret Annexe, a dark and airless space where for more than two years the Franks and others observed complete silence during the daytime, outgrew their clothes, pasted photos of Hollywood stars on the walls and read Dickens, before being arrested by the Nazis in 1944 and sent to concentration camps. Only Otto Frank, Anne’s father, survived.