Arad Fortress

Fortress in Arad

Arad’s star-shaped fortress was built on the orders of the Habsburg empress Maria Theresa between 1763 and 1783. It stands on the site of an old fortress built in 1551 by the Turks. It housed a military base until recently and there are plans to open it up to the public as a museum complex.

Advertisement