Aqueduto da Amoreira

Landmark in Elvas

It took an unsurprising 100 years or so to complete this breathtakingly ambitious aqueduct. Finished in 1622, the huge cylindrical buttresses and several tiers of arches stalk from 7km west of town to bring water to the marble fountain in Largo da Misericórdia. It’s best seen from the Lisbon road, west of the centre.

Advertisement