Abuhav Synagogue

Upper Galilee & Golan

Named after the 15th-century Spanish scholar Rabbi Yitzhak Abuhav, this synagogue was founded in the 16th century but moved to its present location after the 1759 earthquake. The ornately carved courtyard, restored in the late 20th century, is often used for weddings.

Inside, the four central pillars represent the four elements (earth, air, water and fire) that, according to Kabbalists (and ancient Greeks such as Aristotle), make up all of creation. The oval dome has 10 windows, one for each of the Ten Commandments; representations of the 12 Tribes of Israel; illustrations of musical instruments used in the Temple; pomegranates (said to have the same number of seeds as there are Jewish commandments, 613); and the Dome of the Rock, a reminder of the Temple in Jerusalem.

Lonely Planet's must-see attractions

Nearby Upper Galilee & Golan attractions

1. Kadosh Dairy

0.02 MILES

Run by the Kadosh family for seven generations, this microdairy produces minuscule quantities of deliciously sharp, salty gvina Tzfatit (Tsfat-style…

2. Caro Synagogue

0.02 MILES

Decorated with Middle Eastern arches, hanging lamps and bookshelves heavy with holy texts, this synagogue – like the street it’s on – is named in…

3. Fig Tree Courtyard

0.04 MILES

Set around a centenarian fig tree and a 9m-deep cistern (visible through a glass floor panel), this collection of four galleries is one of Tsfat’s…

4. Canaan Gallery

0.04 MILES

Continuing Tsfat’s centuries-old textile tradition, begun by Jews fleeing the Inquisition, Orna and Yair Moore’s studio produces richly textured…

5. HaMeiri Museum

0.04 MILES

Housed in a 150-year-old building that once served as the seat of Tsfat’s rabbinical court, this museum illustrates Jewish life in Tsfat during the 19th…

6. Ashkenazi Ari Synagogue

0.06 MILES

Founded in the 16th century by Sephardic Jews from Greece, this venerable synagogue looks much as it did 150 years ago. It stands on the site where,…

7. Sephardic Ari Synagogue

0.07 MILES

Tsfat’s oldest synagogue – it's mentioned in documents from as far back as 1522 – was frequented by the Ari, the great 16th-century Kabbalist, who…

8. Safed Candles Gallery

0.07 MILES

If you’ve ever wondered how Shabbat, Havdalah and Hanukkah candles are dipped, decorated and braided, drop by to watch an expert candlemaker at work – she…