Stadt-Apotheke

Historic Building in Heidelberg Region

A pharmacy since 1735 and still operating as one today, this is where Bertha Benz – business partner and wife of automobile inventor Karl Benz – refuelled on the first-ever long-distance drive in 1888. The pharmacy provided her with Ligroin, making it the world's first filling station. Its small history museum only opens a handful of days a year.

Outside on the cobbled square there's a bronze-and-steel statue of Bertha driving her three-wheeled contraption.

Advertisement