Set in the small park of Brandon Hill, this 32m ornate red-brick tower was built between 1896 and 1898 to commemorate John Cabot's pioneering voyage in search of Canada. Climbing the steep spiral staircase opens up unparalleled bird's-eye views of Bristol.

The tower was closed in 2007 when suspicious cracks appeared, but was re-opened four years later after safety checks.