When to Go
High Season (Dec–Apr)
- ‘Dry’ season still sees some rain; beach towns fill with domestic tourists.
- Accommodations should be booked well ahead; some places enforce minimum stays.
Shoulder (May–Jul & Nov)
- Rain picks up and the stream of tourists starts to taper off.
- There may still be crowds, because students in Europe and North America are on holiday.
- Roads are muddy and rivers begin to rise, making off-the-beaten-track travel more challenging.
Low Season (Aug–Oct)
- Rainfall is highest, but storms bring swells to the Pacific and the best surfing conditions.
- Rural roads can be impassable due to river crossings.
- Accommodations prices lower significantly.
- Some places close entirely; check before booking!