Image by Olivier CHOUCHANA Contributor
Built by the Russian Ashkenazi Jewish community in 1927, this synagogue lies in the heart of the 1940s Jewish ghetto. Today it houses the synagogue and the Shànghǎi Jewish Refugees Museum, with exhibitions on the lives of the approximately 20,000 Central European refugees who fled to Shànghǎi to escape the Nazis. There are English-language tours every hour, from 9.30am to 11.30am and 1pm to 4pm.
Across the road from the synagogue is the Whitehorse Inn, with a cafe downstairs and a small exhibition space upstairs. The original Whitehorse Inn was located nearby and built by an Austrian refugee to resemble a Vienna coffee house. The Whitehorse Inn has been rebuilt based on the original and opened in 2015.