Sure, there’s nothing wrong with spending New Year’s Eve at your local pub; where you’re guaranteed to run into questionable dancing and that aunt you don’t really like, but you have to admit there are more exciting places in the world to watch the clock tick into a brand new year.
From street parties in Amsterdam to romantic evenings in Yangon, here are the stories behind our social media followers’ best ever New Year’s adventures on the road. Perhaps these tales of memorable midnight countdowns and pulsating parties will inspire you to wake up next 1 January somewhere new.
1. Gatecrashing in Singapore
2. Dancing in the street in Costa Rica
3. Sliding home from the pub in Dublin
4. Champagne on the lake in Switzerland
5. A romantic evening in Yangon
6. Childhood memories from up high
7. Escaping the ‘millenium bug’ in Nicaragua
8. Seeing snow in Ukraine
9. Seeing in the first* sunrise of the New Year
*Tonga, Samoa and Kiribati may have something to say about that, Callum.