Central Anatolia

Turn left on GOP Bulvarı just before Latifoğlu Konağı and cross the canal to get to this restored dervish lodge with its museum to all things dervish, built in 1613 by Muslu Ağa, vizier to Sultan Ahmet I (r 1603–17). One of the most tranquil corners of Tokat, the building is set inside a small garden compound in a neighbourhood of cobbled streets and Ottoman houses buckling under the weight of years.

The exhibits inside include metalwork, illustrated Korans and prayer carpets gathered from mosques throughout the region. The semahane (where whirling ceremonies were held) is upstairs. The room contains an interesting collection of dervish paraphernalia, but the effect is unfortunately tarnished by the tacky mannequins illustrating the sema (whirling ceremony).

Follow the garden path round to the back of the building to get to Muslu Ağa Köşkü, which the vizier used as his family residence.

Just outside, back across the canal, is Tokat's Ottoman Clock Tower; the numbers on its faces are in Arabic.

Lonely Planet's must-see attractions

Nearby Central Anatolia attractions

1. Latifoğlu Konağı

0.15 MILES

Two blocks south of Cumhuriyet Meydanı, the 19th-century Latifoğlu Konağı is a fine example of baroque architecture in the Ottoman style. The rooms have…

2. Ali Paşa Cami

0.34 MILES

Classically Ottoman in architecture, Tokat's Ali Paşa Cami has been finely restored with its vast prayer hall under a grand central dome. It was built…

3. Ali Tusi Türbesi

0.46 MILES

Walking up Sulusokak from GOP Bulvarı, you'll see the tiny Ali Tusi Türbesi on the right. This red-brick Seljuk tomb dates from 1233 and incorporates some…

4. Taş Han

0.49 MILES

The 17th-century Taş Han is an Ottoman caravanserai and workshop. The shops within its arched arcades sell a mixture of hand-painted yazmas (headscarves)…

5. Tokat City Museum


Opened in 2019, this small museum, directly opposite Tokat Museum, focuses on the history of the city. Unfortunately there are no English explanations…

6. Sulu Han


Unfortunately locked on our last visit, the brick-and-wood Sulu Han is very dilapidated but is worth a peek inside if it's open to see its turquoise and…

7. Tokat Museum

0.51 MILES

Tokat's impressive museum is housed within the beautifully restored Arastalı Bedesten (covered market). The collection packs in intricately decorated…

8. Gülbahar Hatun İmareti

0.52 MILES

Past the fruit-and-vegetable market's squiggle of streets, directly across from the Taş Han, is the Meydan Cami and vaulted Gülbahar Hatun İmareti dating…