Funnel-shaped Slovenski trg is the centre of old Ptuj. In the middle is the 16th-century City Tower. Roman tombstones and sacrificial altars from Poetovio were incorporated into the walls in the 1830s – check the reliefs of Medusa’s head, dolphins, a lion and a man on horseback.
In front of the tower stands the 5m-tall Orpheus Monument, a 2nd-century Roman tombstone with scenes from the Orpheus myth. Note the holes at the base: it was used as a pillory in the Middle Ages.
On the northern side of the square are several interesting buildings, including the 16th-century Provost’s House, the baroque Old Town Hall and Ljutomer House, now housing the TIC, whose Mediterranean-style loge was built in 1565.