Dean Bridge

Bridge in West End & Dean Village

Designed by Thomas Telford and built between 1829 and 1832 to allow the New Town to expand to the northwest, the Dean Bridge vaults gracefully over the narrow, steep-sided valley of the Water of Leith. It soon became notorious as a suicide spot – it soars 27m above the river – and in 1912 the parapets were raised to deter jumpers.

Advertisement