Church of the Transfiguration of Our Saviour on Ilyina Street

Top choice in Veliky Novgorod

This compact church is famous for housing the only surviving frescoes by legendary Byzantine painter Theophanes the Greek (1378) – they came close to extinction when the church served as a Nazi machine-gun nest. Restoration has exposed as much of the frescoes as possible, though they are still faint, and a small exhibit upstairs includes reproductions with explanations in Russian. The church closes on the last Thursday of the month and in wet weather.

Lonely Planet's must-see attractions

Nearby Veliky Novgorod attractions

1. Cathedral of Our Lady of the Sign

0.02 MILES

While the outside of this 17th-century Moscow-style complex has seen better days, the interior is festooned with frescoes painted by masters from Kostroma…

2. Centre of Musical Antiquities

0.27 MILES

This small but lovingly maintained museum houses a wonderful collection of traditional folk-music instruments specific to Novgorod and around, including…

3. St Nicholas Cathedral

0.37 MILES

The 12th-century Kyiv-style St Nicholas Cathedral is all that remains of the early palace complex of the Novgorod princes, from which Yaroslav’s Court…

4. Yaroslav's Court

0.46 MILES

Across a footbridge from the kremlin are the photogenic remnants of an 18th-century market arcade. Beyond that is the market gatehouse, an array of…

5. Kremlin Wall Walk

0.69 MILES

Walk part of the kremlin walls for views over the fortress, out to the beach and across the sparkling river. Tickets are sold at the belfry; you can get a…

6. Belfry


The belfry, with its enormous steel bells, has a small bell museum and an observation platform providing good photo opps of the Cathedral of St Sophia on…

7. Cathedral of St Sophia

0.77 MILES

This is the oldest church in Russia (finished in 1050) and one of the country's oldest stone buildings. It's the kremlin's focal point and you couldn't…

8. Millennium of Russia Monument

0.77 MILES

This gargantuan 16m-high, 100-tonne sculpture was unveiled in 1862 on the 1000th anniversary of the Varangian Prince Rurik’s arrival, a moment heralded as…