Monastery of St John the New

Monastery in Suceava

This monastery off Str Mitropoliei, built between 1514 and 1554, remains an important pilgrimage destination: in a decorated silver casket it houses the relics of St John the New, which ruler Alexandru cel Bun had brought to Moldavia in 1415. The church and grounds come alive on 24 June, when faithful from around the country come here and camp on the grounds.

Advertisement