Cloth Hall

Historic Building in Old Town

Dominating the middle of Rynek Główny, this building was once the centre of Kraków’s medieval clothing trade. Created in the early 14th century when a roof was put over two rows of stalls, it was extended into a 108m-long Gothic structure, then rebuilt in Renaissance style after a 1555 fire; the arcades were a late-19th-century addition. The ground floor is now a busy trading centre for crafts and souvenirs; the upper floor houses the Gallery of 19th-Century Polish Painting.

Advertisement