Iglesia de las Nazarenas


One of Lima’s most storied churches was part of a 17th-century shantytown inhabited by former slaves. One of them painted an image of the Crucifixion on a wall here. It survived the devastating earthquake of 1655 and a church was built around it (the painting serves as the centerpiece of the main altar) in the 1700s. The church has been rebuilt many times since but the wall endures.

On October 18 each year a representation of the mural, known as ‘El Señor de los Milagros’ is carried around in a tens-of-thousands-strong procession that lasts for days.

Lonely Planet's must-see attractions

Nearby Lima attractions

1. Casa de la Riva

0.14 MILES

This handsome, 18th-century mansion features beautiful wooden balconies, an elegant patio and period furnishings.

2. Casa-Capilla de San Martín de Porres

0.16 MILES

Right across the street from the Santuario de Santa Rosa de Lima, this building (now a center of religious study) commemorates the birthplace of San…

3. Santuario de Santa Rosa de Lima

0.22 MILES

Honoring the first saint of the Americas, this plain, terracotta-hued church on a congested avenue is located roughly at the site of her birth. The modest…

4. Iglesia de San Agustín

0.27 MILES

This church has an elaborate churrigueresque facade (completed in 1720), replete with stone carvings of angels, flowers, fruit and, of course, St…

5. Instituto Riva-Aguero


Toward the center of downtown, this traditional casona houses the small Museum of Art & Popular Tradition.

6. Casa de Oquendo

0.35 MILES

The cornflower-blue Casa de Oquendo is a ramshackle turn-of-the-19th-century house (in its time, the tallest in Lima) with a creaky lookout tower that, on…

7. Jirón de la Unión

0.35 MILES

In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the five pedestrian blocks on Jirón de la Unión, from the Plaza de Armas to Plaza San Martín, were the place to…

8. Iglesia de la Merced

0.37 MILES

The first Latin Mass in Lima was held in 1534 on a small patch of land now marked by the Iglesia de la Merced. Originally built in 1541, it was rebuilt…