Dominating the eastern side of Merdeka Sq, this was the first public building in Malaysia designed in the Mogul (or Indo-Saracenic) style, and influenced countless others across the city. Built in 1897 as the secretariat for the colonial administration, and designed by AC Norman (an associate of AB Hubback), it now houses a national ministry. It looks particularly impressive after dark when its copper domes and 41m clock tower are lit up.

Note that to the right of the building is the old General Post Office.