The small Yemin Moshe neighbourhood can be identified immediately by its Montefiore windmill, actually one of the first structures to be built outside the secure confines of the Old City.
The neighbourhood was part of a scheme developed by English Jewish philanthropist Sir Moses Montefiore, who visited the Holy Land seven times in the mid-19th century. Hoping to aid the Jews living in Jerusalem, and seeking to ease overcrowding within the city walls, Montefiore built a block of 24 apartments, a development known as Mishkenot Sha’ananim (Tranquil Dwellings). The windmill was built in 1857 to provide the basis for a flour industry. The scheme failed and the Montefiore windmill is now an eccentric landmark serving as a museum dedicated to Montefiore.