Fort St Angelo

Fort in Kannur

Image by imageBROKER Alamy Stock Photo

One of the earliest Portuguese settlements in India (constructed with permission from Kannur's rulers), the 1505 St Angelo Fort looms tall on a promontory 3km south of town, displaying a fusion of Portuguese, Dutch and British architecture. Wander the well-preserved walls and gardens within.

The fort was taken from the Portuguese in 1663 by the Dutch, who sold it back to the Arakkal family a century later – before it was seized by the British.


Advertisement