Guyanese dollar (G$)
Budget: Less than G$30,000
- Budget hotel room G$6000
- Minibus from Georgetown to Lethem G$10,000-14,000
- Banks beer G$350
- Street snack G$200
- Double room in a midrange hotel G$10,000
- Day trip to Kaieteur Falls G$35,000
- Taxi ride in Georgetown G$400
- Meal in a midrange restaurant G$2000
Top end: More than G$60,000
- Double room in a top-end hotel G$30,000
- Flight Georgetown–Lethem G$30,000
- Three meals at an eco-lodge G$5000
- Taxi from airport to downtown Georgetown G$5000
Bargaining is not customary at shops in Guyana but may be undertaken at markets and street stalls.
Not all ATMs accept foreign cards; credit cards are rarely accepted outside the better hotels in Georgetown.
The Guyanese dollar (G$) is stable and pegged to the US dollar, which is widely accepted. You may also be able to spend your euros at Georgetown travel agencies. Credit cards are accepted at Georgetown's better hotels and restaurants (usually for a 5% service charge), although not at gas stations or, in general, anywhere else. Scotiabank is the easiest place to get cash advances, and its ATMs are the only ones that accept foreign cards.
Cash can be exchanged at banks, but cambios (foreign-exchange offices) offer better rates and less red tape. Sometimes hotels change cash for a small commission.
Using US Dollars
If you aren't planning on traveling far off the tourist trail, you can get by using US dollars at most hotels, rainforest lodges, restaurants and taxis to the airports. The going user rate is G$200 for US$1, which is close to the bank rate. However, do plan on having a small stash of Guyanese dollars for short taxi rides and snacks.
Tipping is widely practiced and expected in Guyana, where between 10 and 15% is the norm. While it's ok to tip in US dollars in Georgetown, it's important to use Guyanese dollars in the interior.
- Restaurants In some restaurants a service charge is automatically added to the bill, in which case there is no need to tip.
- Hotels Like in restaurants, some hotels automatically add a service charge to the bill, and no other tip is required.