Place de la Batterie

Viewpoint in Beaulieu-sur-Mer

In 1862, following Beaulieu's decision to leave the Kingdom of Savoy and join France, the French government built a customs house and fort along the waterfront. Known as the Batterie de Beaulieu, it remained intact for nearly a century before the Germans obliterated it at the end of WWII. No new buildings have been constructed here since, and the resulting open space has become a favourite local viewpoint, with dramatic views of the Mediterranean.