Bahraini dinar (BD)
Budget: Less than BD40
- Single room in a budget hotel: BD15–30
- Shawarma or falafel wrap: BD1
- Museum admission: BD2
- Bus ticket: BD0.3
- Double room in a midrange hotel: BD40–80
- Lunch and dinner in local restaurants: BD6–18
- Short taxi trip: BD3
Top end: More than BD120
- Double room in a top-end hotel: BD80–120
- Lunch and dinner in restaurant: BD18–30
- Best theatre tickets: BD60
- Spa treatment: BD30
- Taxi trip: BD3–10
Bargaining in the souqs and in most shops, together with asking for a discount, is expected.
ATMs are widespread, and credit cards are widely accepted.
ATMs & Credit Cards
Major credit cards are widely accepted throughout Bahrain. Most banks have ATMs that accept Visa, Cirrus and MasterCard cards, while the Bank of Bahrain and Kuwait (BBK) has ATMs that take Visa, MasterCard, Cirrus, Maestro and Amex cards.
Bahrain’s currency is the Bahraini dinar (BD). One dinar is divided into 1000 fils. There are 500-fil and one-, five-, 10- and 20-dinar notes. Coins come in denominations of five, 10, 25, 50, 100 and 500 fils. The Bahraini dinar is a convertible currency, and there are no restrictions on its import or export. With huge numbers of Saudi tourists regularly visiting, local businesses in Bahrain also accept Saudi riyals.
The dinar is pegged to the US dollar and rarely fluctuates. For current exchange rates, see www.xe.com.
Money can be changed at any bank or moneychanging office. There is little difference between banks and moneychangers in terms of exchange rates, and it’s rare for either to charge a commission. Currencies for other Gulf states are easy to buy and sell.
- Restaurants A service charge is added to most bills in restaurants and hotels in Bahrain, so tipping is at your discretion. An appropriate tip for good service would be around 10%.
- Porters Airport porters expect a small tip of BD1 despite their services being covered by the airport tax.
- Taxi Drivers do not expect a tip for short journeys. For longer journeys (more than 5km), 10% would be appropriate.