The southwest's only city is morphing from an industrial port into a seaside holiday destination. From Bunbury, the main route south branches to the Bussell Hwy (for Margaret River), and the South Western Hwy (to the southern forests and south coast). It's also the southernmost stop on the train network and a hub for regional buses.
The town centre has basically one main street (Victoria), and a few blocks to the west lies the beach. Immediately to the north, the redeveloped port features waterside restaurants.
The city lies at the western end of Leschenault Inlet. The area was named Port Leschenault after the botanist on Nicolas Baudin's ship Le Géographe in 1803, but British Governor James Stirling renamed it Bunbury after a lieutenant in charge of the original military outpost. The first British settlers arrived in 1838.