Shakes Community House

Historic Site in Wrangell

The cedar wood house in the middle of Chief Shakes Island is a replica of a typical Tlingit chief's house recreated by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1940. The house incorporates four structural totem poles thought to date from the 1840s and is surrounded by six more poles (most of them replicas).

Advertisement