Welcome to Sremski Karlovci
Sitting snug against the Danube, Sremski Karlovci has a huge history that belies its cosy size. Originally home to an ancient Roman fortress, the village peaked as a major cultural and spiritual centre during the 18th century, a legacy still visible in beautiful baroque edifices, including the St Nicholas Orthodox cathedral (1758–62), the working Karlovci Orthodox Theological Seminary (1794) – the second of its kind in the world – and the magnificent Four Lions fountain; local rumour has it that if one drinks from the fountain, they'll return to Karlovci to be married. The round yellow Chapel of Peace at the southern end of town is where the Turks and Austrians signed the 1699 Peace Treaty.
Sremski Karlovci is also famous for its local wines, and is considered the gateway to Fruška Gora National Park.