Altes Amtsgericht

Historic Building in Swakopmund

This gabled building, on the corner of Garnison and Bahnhof Sts, was constructed in 1908 as a private school. When the funds ran out, the government took over the project and requisitioned it as a magistrates’ court. In the 1960s it functioned as a school dormitory, and now houses municipal offices. Just so no one can doubt its identity, the words ‘Altes Amtsgericht’ (German for ‘Old Magistrates’ Court’) are painted across the front.

Advertisement