Welcome to Thanlyin & Kyauktan
The notorious Portuguese adventurer Filipe de Brito e Nicote ran his own little kingdom from Thanlyin in the late 16th and 17th centuries. He sided with the Mon in their struggle against the Bamar, before dying after being impaled by his enemies in 1613.
Thanlyin was a major port, until it was eclipsed by Yangon in the late 18th century. It was briefly the base of the French East India Company and the first place in Myanmar to receive Christian missionaries and have its own church. The ruins of a Portuguese-built church, dating to 1750, can be found not far from the Thanlyin Bridge.
Under British rule, Thanlyin was known as 'Syriam' and was the site of a major oil refinery.