Anninskie Fortifications

Fortress in Vyborg

Image by Ksenia Elzes Lonely Planet

At the southern end of Tverdysh Island is this double line of fortifications, built between 1730 and 1750 as protection against the Swedes and named after Empress Anna Ioanovna. Nearby, on a hill just above the restaurant Russky Dvor, a handsome statue of Peter the Great, erected on the bicentenary of the city’s capture by Russia, surveys the town.

Advertisement