Tōhoku’s finest Zen temple, Zuigan-ji was established in AD 828. The present buildings were constructed in 1606 by Date Masamune to serve as a family temple. Zuigan-ji is undergoing a major restoration that will take until 2019 to complete. As a result, some buildings are closed and others are sheathed in tarps, though it's possible to enter them. Still open is the excellent Seiryūden (temple museum), which has a number of well-preserved relics from the Date family, including national treasures.
The temple is 500m north of Matsushima-kaigan Station. Follow the signs.