Welcome to Oatlands
The site for the town was chosen in 1821 as one of four military posts on the Hobart–George Town road, and in 1832 an optimistic surveyor marked out 80km of streets – on the assumption that Oatlands would become the Midlands' capital. Many folks made the town home in the 1830s, erecting solid buildings with the help of former convicts and soldiers who were skilled carpenters and stonemasons.
These days the town has a few decent places to stay and eat. Bypassed by the highway, it retains a sense of colonial calm and makes for a history-soaked stopover.