National Trust–classified Hamilton, on the fringe of the Central Highlands in the Derwent Valley, was planned with great expectations. Settled in 1808 (the same year nearby New Norfolk was established), it was a mid-19th-century boom town. By 1835 it had 800 residents, who were well watered by 11 hotels and two breweries. Grids of streets were surveyed, but the dry local soils defeated many farmers. The town stagnated and several buildings were eventually removed.