Welcome to Baton Rouge
In 1699 French explorers came face to face with a reddened cypress pole, a staked boundary marker used by Bayagoulas and Houma Native Americans to demarcate their respective hunting grounds. These French, who were apparently cut from some literal-minded cloth, decided to name the area baton rouge – red stick.
Amazing hotels and hostels
We've pre-picked the best hotels, hostels and bed and breakfasts to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.
Food and drink
- Dang's Vietnamese Restaurant in Baton RougeVietnamese
- City Pork Deli & Charcuterie in Baton RougeDeli
- Saigon Noodles in Baton RougeVietnamese
- Rice & Roux in Baton RougeCajun
- Louisiana Lagniappe in Baton RougeCajun
- White Star Market in Baton RougeFood Hall
- Chimes in Baton RougeSouthern US