The 19th-century Fort Independence sits on 22 acres of parkland called Castle Island (a misnomer, as it’s connected to the mainland). A paved pathway follows the perimeter of the peninsula – good for strolling or cycling – and there is a small swimming beach. From the Seaport District, walk south on Summer St for about a half-mile, then turn left on E 1st St and continue to the waterfront.
Since 1634, eight different fortresses have occupied this strategic spot at the entrance to the Inner Harbor. Fort Independence – the five-point granite fort that stands here today – was built between 1834 and 1851.