Welcome to Ramla
Established in 716 CE by the Umayyid caliph Suleiman, Ramla ('Spot of Sand') was a stopover on the road from Egypt to Damascus. Before the arrival of the Crusaders in the 11th century, it was Palestine’s capital and maintained its importance in the Middle Ages as the first stop for the Jerusalem-bound pilgrims who came ashore at Jaffa. Following the 1948 Arab–Israeli War, the majority of the Arab population was expelled or fled and was replaced by poor Jewish immigrants, mainly from Asia and North Africa. The population is now a mix of Muslim Arabs (16%), Christian Arabs (4%) and Jews (80%).