Papetoai

Village in Mo'orea

A busy little village with a few shops and services, Papetoai was established as the Pacific headquarters of the London Missionary Society (LMS) in 1811. In the 1870s, the missionaries constructed an octagonal church at Papetoai; today this is the oldest standing European building in the South Pacific. As was often the case, the missionaries deliberately built this church atop an old marae.

Advertisement