Caritas Well

Fountain in Strøget & the Latin Quarter
Image by Caroline Coupe / Lonely Planet
Image by Caroline Coupe / Lonely Planet

Named for the Goddess of Charity, this lovely fountain was built in 1608 by King Christian IV, when Gammeltorv was the city's main square, and is the oldest fountain in Copenhagen. Originally a part of the city's water supply system, today it is merely ornamental. On occasions such as royal birthdays, golden apples dance in the fountain's jets.