Mausoleum

in Pleven

This ornate neo-Byzantine mausoleum dominates Pleven's main pedestrian square and holds the remains of the Russian and Romanian soldiers who died liberating the city in 1877. It was built between 1903 and 1907. There are two levels, with the lower level holding the bones of the dead soldiers from the various countries. The atmosphere inside is suitably serene.

null