Striking off west from Piazza Pasquino, Via del Governo Vecchio is an atmospheric cobbled lane full of fashion boutiques, lively eateries and vintage clothes shops. The road, once part of the papal processional route between the Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano and St Peter's, acquired its name (Old Government St) in 1755 when the pontifical government relocated from Palazzo Nardini at No 39 to Palazzo Madama.

The Renaissance architect Bramante is though to have lived at No 123.