Welcome to Murshidabad & Berhampore
In Murshidabad, rural Bengali life and the imposing buildings of a historic capital city merge on the verdant shores of the Hooghly River, locally known as the Bhagirathi. Murshidabad replaced Dhaka as capital of the vast Mughal province of Bengal in 1704, became a silk trade centre, and remained Bengal's administrative centre under the British for some decades after Nawab Siraj-ud-daula was defeated by Robert Clive at Plassey (now Palashi) in 1757. The main draw here is the Hazarduari, a royal palace famous for its 1000 doors (real and false), built for the nawabs in 1829–37. It houses an astonishing collection of Bengali and European antiquities from the 18th and 19th centuries.