In 1839 Scottish merchant Robert Campbell started building a private wharf and this gingerbread-style row of 11 storehouses to house his stash of tea, alcohol, sugar and fabric. Construction didn't finish until 1861, and a brick storey was added in 1890. Such storehouses were common around Circular Quay into the early 20th century, but most have been demolished since. These survivors now sustain a string of pricey restaurants.