Bruny Island Quarantine Station

Historic Site in Bruny Island

On an isolated peninsula, this historic maritime quarantine station operated from 1884 until 1919, treating immigrants with typhoid and smallpox, and health-checking 9000 WWI troops on their return to Tasmania. There aren't many buildings left, but there's copious historical information, enthusiastic volunteer staff, lots of wildlife to see and some lovely walking trails over 322 acres.

Advertisement