go to content go to search box go to global site navigation



Non-EU citizens require an offer of paid employment prior to their arrival in Sweden. They need to apply for a work permit (and residence permit for stays over three months), enclosing confirmation of the job offer, completed forms (available from Swedish diplomatic posts or over the Internet), two passport photos and their passport. Processing takes six to eight weeks, and there's a nonrefundable application fee of Skr1000.

EU citizens only need to apply for a residence permit (free) within three months of arrival if they find work, then they can remain in Sweden for the duration of their employment (or up to five years).

Australians and New Zealanders aged 18 to 30 years can now qualify for a one-year working holiday visa. Full application details are available online through Migrationsverket(www.migrationsverket.se).

Work permits are only granted if there's a shortage of Swedes (or citizens from EU countries) with certain skills, and speaking Swedish may be essential for the job. Students enrolled in Sweden can take summer jobs, but can be hard to find and such work isn't offered to travelling students. No seasonal work permits were to be granted for 2006.

Helpful information is available online from the Arbetsförmedlinga(AMV; Swedish National Labour Market Administration; www.ams.se).

Partner content

Teach English abroad with an i-to-i TEFL Course

If you’ve ever thought about living and working abroad, then why not teach English as a foreign language (TEFL)? It could be the key to funding your travels and experiencing new cultures in a totally new way. You don’t need teaching experience or even the ability to speak the local language – although you might learn it while you’re out there.

Start a new life teaching English abroad with i-to-i TEFL