go to content go to search box go to global site navigation



Whatever your skills, it’s worth registering with a number of temporary employment agencies – there are plenty in the cities.

Hostel notice boards sometimes advertise casual work. Without skills, it’s difficult to find a job that pays enough to save money. Pick up the free TNT (www.tntmagazine.co.uk), found in larger cities – it lists jobs and employment agencies aimed at travellers.

Low-paid seasonal work is available in the tourist industry, usually in restaurants and pubs. This was once the domain of Australian, South African and New Zealand travellers but the recent membership enlargement of the EU has seen many Eastern Europeans also travel to Scotland for these jobs. In particular, you’ll probably meet Poles, Slovakians and Slovenians working in pubs, hotels and restaurants in the Highlands.

EU citizens don’t need a work permit – see also Visas for details about the Working Holidaymaker scheme for Commonwealth citizens. Students from the USA who are at least 18 years old and studying full time at a college or university can get a Blue Card permit allowing them to work for six months in the UK. It’s available through the British Universities North America Club (BUNAC; www.bunac.org.uk). The club also runs programmes for Australians, Canadians and New Zealanders. For more details, check out the website.

Partner content

Teach English abroad with an i-to-i TEFL Course

If you’ve ever thought about living and working abroad, then why not teach English as a foreign language (TEFL)? It could be the key to funding your travels and experiencing new cultures in a totally new way. You don’t need teaching experience or even the ability to speak the local language – although you might learn it while you’re out there.

Start a new life teaching English abroad with i-to-i TEFL