The grand building between the Assumption Cathedral and the Cathedral of St Dmitry is known as the Palaty and contains a children’s...
Cathedral of St Dmitry
A quick stroll to the east of the Assumption Cathedral is the smaller Cathedral of St Dmitry, built between 1193 and 1197, where the art...
St George Church
The St George Church , near the Old Vladimir Exhibition, houses the Vladimir Theatre of Choral Music, where performances are often held...
Here is a friendly, cheapish and blissfully unauthentic pseudo-Irish pub, its walls adorned with insignia of obscure teams from obscure...
One of two side-by-side establishments on the main drag. Choose from the cosy bar, the elegant dining room or, if the weather is fine,...
Assumption Cathedral information
Lonely Planet review
Construction of this white-stone version of Kyiv’s brick Byzantine churches began in 1158 – its simple but majestic form was adorned with fine carving, innovative for the time. The cathedral gained the four outer domes when it was extended on all sides after a fire in the 1180s.
Inside the working church, a few restored 12th-century murals of peacocks and prophets can be deciphered about halfway up the inner wall of the outer north aisle; this was originally an outside wall. The real treasures, though, are the Last Judgment frescoes by Andrei Rublyov and Daniil Chyorny, painted in 1408 in the central nave and inner south aisle, under the choir gallery towards the west end.
The church also contains the original coffin of Alexander Nevsky of Novgorod, the 13th-century military leader who was also Prince of Vladimir. He was buried in the former Nativity Monastery east of the cathedral, but his remains were moved to St Petersburg in 1724 when Peter the Great awarded him Russian hero status.
Adjoining the cathedral on the northern side are an 1810 bell tower and the 1862 St George’s Chapel . Don’t miss the spectacular views over the bluff into the Oka valley.