Piè di Marmo

Monument in Centro Storico

The Piè di Marmo is one of the Romans’ favourite monuments. This giant marble foot started life on a statue in a 1st-century temple dedicated to the Egyptian gods Isis and Serapis. Some 1600 years later it cropped up on the street that now bears its name, Via del Piè di Marmo. It was moved to its current position on Via di Santo Stefano del Cacco in 1878 to clear a path for King Vittorio Emanuele II’s funeral procession to the Pantheon.

Advertisement