Welcome to Greenwich Island
As early as 1820, circular Yankee Harbor, on Greenwich Island’s southwestern side, was an important anchorage for sealers, who knew it as Hospital Cove. A stone-and-gravel spit extends nearly 1km in a wide curve, protecting Yankee Harbor and making it a favorite yacht anchorage. The spit is an ideal place for walking; look for an old sealer’s try-pot on this strand. Further up the beach, by the Argentine refugio (refuge) built in the 1950s, several thousand pairs of gentoo penguins nest. A small plaque commemorates Robert McFarlane, a British sealer who operated in the region in 1820 in his brigantine Dragon.