This small port at the very end of Tanintharyi Region – the southernmost point of mainland Myanmar (500 miles from Yangon and 1200 miles from the country’s northern tip) – is separated from Thailand by a broad estuary in the Pagyan River. It was known as Victoria Point to the British, and to the Thais it’s known as Ko Song (Second Island). The Burmese name, Kawthoung (also spelt Kawthaung), is a mispronunciation of the latter.
Kawthoung (ေကာ့ေသာင္း) was one of the earliest British possessions in Myanmar, obtained after the First Anglo-Burmese War in 1826. Today the town is a scrappy border post and jumping-off point for boating and diving excursions to the Myeik Archipelago.