The focal point of Hampi Bazaar is the Virupaksha Temple, one of the city’s oldest structures, and Hampi’s only remaining working temple. The main gopuram, almost 50m high, was built in 1442, with a smaller one added in 1510. The main shrine is dedicated to Virupaksha, an incarnation of Shiva.
An elephant called Lakshmi blesses devotees as they enter in exchange for donations; it doesn't seem hugely rewarding for the pachyderm, but she gets time off for a morning bath down by the river ghats
This has been a place of worship since the 7th century, when it consisted of a collection of simple shrines. In subsequent centuries the complex grew as its sanctum, beautifully carved colonnaded halls and gateways were added.