This landmark house of worship, built in 1887, was once a center of Jewish life before falling into squalor in the 1920s. Left to rot, the synagogue was restored following a 20-year-long, $20-million restoration that was completed in 2007, and it now shines with original splendor. Museum admission includes a guided tour of the synagogue, which departs hourly, with the last one starting at 4pm.
In addition to the restored portion of the synagogue, there is a hall of exhibits about Jewish life on the Lower East Side, as well as special events and seminars. Note that the museum is closed on all major Jewish and national holidays.